Published on June 21st, 2011 | by Zachary Shahan0
SunPower Launches Solar Discovery Game (& $25,000 Solar Power System Giveaway)
June 21st, 2011 by Zachary Shahan
SunPower, one of the world leaders in solar power, launched a new “highly social and sharable” solar knowledge contest on Facebook this morning, the Solar Discovery Game. In combination with the game, the company will give away a solar power system worth up to $25,000 at the end of the summer.
“For most homeowners, the considerations around whether or not to buy a solar system can be daunting. From the cost of a system, to appearance, to maintenance, to understanding a timeline for ROI, the list of factors to weigh when considering a solar energy installation can be intimidating,” SunPower writes. “With this in mind, SunPower has created the Solar Discovery Game as a means to help homeowners better understand the history behind solar and the opportunities a home installation can provide.”
Some more info on how one plays the Solar Discovery Game and what one can win:
- Visit the Solar Discovery Game on Facebook and answer trivia questions to earn panels (or points) towards the grand prize.
- Players can also earn “badges” for unlocking achievements along the way which can be posted to a player’s Facebook wall.
- Each week, SunPower will add new questions and new prizes to win. By playing, contestants can win the grand prize of a complete SunPower solar energy system worth up to $25,000, and will be entered to win more than 60 featured prizes, including plane tickets, video cameras, gift cards, event tickets, SunPower gear, and much more!
- The grand prize winner can add the solar installation to their home, add it to an existing system, or gift it to family, friends, a neighbor or a local community building, such as a school or recreation center.
Looks like an interesting initiative that could help to considerably improve people’s knowledge about solar and, thus, get a lot more people installing solar power systems on their homes.
The contest is running from June 21st to September 14th and the grand prize winner will be announced September 16th.
Kudos to SunPower on another good idea.
Would totally love it if some of our loyal CleanTechnica readers won a solar power syste,
(Note: I think it’s a little ridiculous to offer plane tickets as a prize, not too green, but hey….)
Related Stories on CleanTechnica:
- SunPower Ramps Up Production, Soon its Solar Down Near $1 a Watt
- Solar Panels from SunPower Achieve Guinness World Record
- Most Popular Solar Panels in California
- 5 Reasons I Love the Solar Panel Industry
- Solar Power Graphs to Make You Smile
Have a tip for CleanTechnica, want to advertise, or want to suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here.