Published on January 25th, 2014 | by Zachary Shahan1
Alternativa — Ukraine Organization With Innovative Cleantech Programs
January 25th, 2014 by Zachary Shahan
Some of the most interesting projects and programs to which I was exposed on my recent cleantech tour around Ukraine were regarding the nonprofit organization Alternativa*. I talked a bit with then-director, Yuliya Malko, at different points during the trip. At the very end of my trip, I had the opportunity to sit down over lunch with Yuliya and interview her in order to get summaries of those various projects condensed into one video for all of you. Here’s that interview, followed by some text summary and extra commentary:
- Alternativa has worked with LEGO to demonstrate to students how renewable energy technologies can power a city.
- It also helped to educate students about how solar panels and wind turbines work. This included small-scale physical demonstrations and renewable energy technology construction.
- Alternative also helped to organize European Sustainable Energy Week last June.
- It helped to organize the first outdoor rally of electric cars in Ukraine.
- And it helped to organize a flash mob promoting energy independence in Ukraine, held on Ukraine’s Independence Day.
Good stuff. I was particularly impressed by the innovative educational programs Alternativa developed.
Also, by the way, in support of Yuliya and millions of other Ukrainians, I highly recommend: Help Protect Democracy In Ukraine.
- I’m now an official advisor to Alternativa, but that is a completely voluntary role — I am not compensated for that work in any way.
- My trip to and around Ukraine was supported by Activ Solar, greencubator, and Alternativa.
Keep up to date with the hottest cleantech news and commentary here on CleanTechnica, and subscribe to our overall cleantech newsletter to never miss a story!
Read more about my trip to Ukraine on our Ukraine channel.
Let us know where you’d like to attend CleanTechnica solar and/or EV events.
Keep up to date with all the hottest cleantech news by subscribing to our (free) cleantech newsletter, or keep an eye on sector-specific news by getting our (also free) solar energy newsletter, electric vehicle newsletter, or wind energy newsletter.