Published on March 21st, 2013 | by James Ayre0
BikeSpike — New Device Lets You Track Your Bike And Detects Thefts & Crashes
March 21st, 2013 by James Ayre
Have you ever had your bike stolen and wanted to track down whoever stole it? Well, now you can. The new BikeSpike device is essentially an inconspicuous advanced GPS system for your bike, with a wide array of capabilities, such as: monitoring the location of your bike with a smartphone app, remote notification if it is moved from a “locked” location, a collision detection system that can alert chosen emergency numbers and share your location, statistics-gathering, and more.
“BikeSpike reveals the what and where of your bike,” as TreeHugger worded it in a recent article. Not only is it a clever device, but could also change the way we value and monitor bikes as a method of transportation.
The creators of the device are currently in the middle of a KickStarter campaign, by “donating” you can reserve yourself one of the devices.
A quick rundown of some of the BikeSpike’s capabilities:
– Monitor your bike’s location on a map using your phone or computer
– Grant temporary access to local law enforcement, helping increase the chances of recovery.
– Digitally “lock” your bike and receive a notification if your bike moves from it’s geo-fenced location or if someone even tampers with it.
– Collision detection system can alert key members of your contact list and share the location of an accident.
– Share your stats (distance, speed, and courses…) with friends, coaches and spectators.
– Monitor your children and get notified if they ride out of their safe zone.
– Our open API allows developers to create gaming and fitness apps that you can download and use with the device or use the data created from the BikeSpike to integrate with the existing apps you already love. Export a GPX file.
– PLUS, with the Hacker Pack, you can connect it to a motorcycle or other on-board batteries for a continual charge.
Don’t own or lease an electric car but want to? Complete our EV owner wannabe survey!
Keep up to date with all the hottest cleantech news by subscribing to our (free) cleantech newsletter, or keep an eye on sector-specific news by getting our (also free) solar energy newsletter, electric vehicle newsletter, or wind energy newsletter.