The final round of the NOVA Innovation Competition 2012 will be held at the Saint-Gobain NOVA External Venturing booth #4463N at the 2012 Greenbuild International Conference and Expo in San Francisco next week, where the eight finalists will compete in a live speed dating format to pitch their innovations to a judging panel consisting of Saint-Gobain business leaders.
The competition has drawn startups from around the world that have recently innovated new products in the area of “sustainable habitat and construction materials.” This included construction products, advanced materials, energy efficiency, and environmental sustainability.
The eight finalists are:
- Aquamost Inc. (Brookfield, WI) – A chemical-free system for the remediation of hydraulic fracturing (“fracking”) and other oil/gas well wastewater, combining catalyst plates, UV light and electricity.
- Architectural Applications (Portland, OR) – An air conditioning efficiency technology that uses membrane-based, air-to-air heat and moisture exchangers integrated into the building envelope system to create healthier indoor environments with much less energy.
- Blue Water Bioproducts (Port Huron, MI) – Developer of eco-friendly polyurethane resins made from lignin, a pulp and paper industry waste product.
- Encapsulix (Simiane, Provence, France) – Developer of thin-film coating equipment that make OLED, LED lighting, photovoltaics, organic electronics more durable and less expensive to manufacture.
- Heliotrope Technologies (Oakland, CA) – Developer of energy efficient electrochromic glass windows that can switch between solar transparent, heat blocking and heat and lighting blocking states.
- PlanGrid (Sunnyvale, CA) – Complete collaborative platform for construction information and the fastest PDF viewer in the universe.
- Smarter Shade (South Bend, IN) – A daylight control platform that enables a new or existing window to go from clear to dark with the touch of a button, which activates a sliding film.
- ThermoCeramix Group (Boston, MA) – A radiant heat system integrated into gypsum wall board and tiles for ceilings and walls.
The first three winners will receive cash prizes of $50,000, $25,000 and $10,000, respectively. However, the real prize in the contest is the opportunity each of the eight finalists now have to partner with Saint-Gobain’s NOVA External Venturing organization in exploring potential joint development, licensing, or other collaboration agreements.
Source: NOVA Innovation Competition
I'm a Christian, a nerd, a geek, a liberal left-winger, and believe that we're pretty quickly directing planet-Earth into hell in a handbasket! I work as Associate Editor for the Important Media Network and write for CleanTechnica and Planetsave. I also write for Fantasy Book Review (.co.uk), Amazing Stories, the Stabley Times and Medium. I love words with a passion, both creating them and reading them.